The Department of Correctional Services wishes to attract interested applicants whose personal values are aligned with the core values of the Department which are:
We are looking for applicants with:
- An interest in the Department of Correctional Services as a career path.
- A keen sense of responsibility.
- The ability to demonstrate a high level of self-discipline.
- A passion to serve.
- Health & Fitness
- Loyalty & Integrity
- Assertiveness and Vigilance
- Between 18-35 years of age
Height & Weight
|Height||Minimum 5feet 5inches||Minimum 5feet 7inches|
|Weight||Minimum – 125lbs||Minimum – 140lbs|
- Jamaican Citizen
Security Vetting / Clearance
- All applicants will be thoroughly vetted before employment; an antecedent report will be commissioned by the Department.
- Be physically fit and healthy and able to undertake the physical requirements of training
The following Ailments will preclude Selection
- Major Abdominal Surgery
- Hypertension/High Blood Pressure
- Color Vision Deficiency
- Sickle Cell
- Any communicable disease
- Significant Dental Caries (Cavities) or misalignment of teeth
- Flat Feet
- Bone or Joint Deformities
- History of Mental illness
- Any Other Significant Medical Illness
Each applicant must produce documentary proof of his/her academic qualifications minimum requirements:
– Educational Requirement
4 CXC/CSEC – Grades 1-3 (grade 3 acceptable after 1998) or
GCE O’Level – Grades of A – C or
SSC – Grades 4 and 5 (Only) or
City and Guilds (Level 3 Only)
NB: Subjects MUST include English Language
Any other qualifications that are equivalent to the aforementioned and so approved by the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) or University Council of Jamaica (UCJ) and English Language (mandatory).
NB: JSC and lower educational qualifications are not accepted. Note also that certification received overseas must be accredited in Jamaica. Applicants are required to obtain the requisite accreditation from the office of the UCJ.
Applicants who present tertiary level certification (eg. first and or second degrees) are required to sit the entry level exam.
An applicant who does not possess the above qualifications will not be considered by the Department.
- Must be able to work on a shift system.
- Must be able to work on weekends and public holidays.
- Must be able to assume duties at any of our eleven (11) Correctional Institutions islandwide and the job is transferable.